Search

Negative Body Image & Our Relationship With Food

Updated: Jun 7

I believe negative body image and the impact it has on our mental health is such an important topic and something that is fortunately being spoken about more often these days. When we have an unhealthy relationship with food, we often have an unhealthy relationship with ourselves and seek out detrimental behaviours that will change our appearance in the hope to improve how we feel. This can result in restrictive diets, diet pills or cosmetic surgery. Research also indicates that people with negative body image are less likely to care for their bodies meaning they might not protect themselves with sunscreen, miss appointments with their doctor, eat little fruit and veg or do less physical activity. As women, we always compare ourselves to others (but mostly other women) and in doing so we turn a blind eye to what we are good at and purely focus on the negatives. There is a reason the quote “comparison is the thief of joy” is so popular! None of us should be in competition and none of us should make comparisons with each other. Your nutrition and health is purely a individualised journey for yourself but I am here to offer encouragement, evidence-based advice and professional help along the way.


Most of you know that either an excess or lack of energy intake is what equates to weight loss or weight gain. However, iff it is this simple though why is our relationship with food so messed up and why do so many people still struggle?! This is purely down to the psychological element behind eating and what really needs to be addressed. Emotional eating is really common and it masks our underlying feelings. A lot of people have disordered relationships with food and it differs massively to other psychological disorders or addictions including alcohol, smoking and drugs because as living humans, we need food to stay alive and we have 3 meals (give or take) a day meaning that we can’t not face eating or avoid food in our daily life.


I want to work with you to ignite confidence, step into your full power and turn down self-doubt, failure and judgement because they are self-sabotaging factors. Once we feel confident and have built enough confidence we can then go and empower ourselves in all aspects of our lives, whether it be our relationships or careers. When you start to feel this confidence and see the differences and the impact it has on your life you’re going to be so excited and want to continue it forever and never look back at the fad diets.


We live in a diet culture where every image in the media and social media reinforces an idealised version of what women in particular, but also men, feel they need to fit in and this is a really narrow aesthetic ideal that is bio genetically difficult or impossible for most people. This results in us trying to chase someone who we are not instead of accepting who we are. Wanting to lose fat so you feel more confident in your bikini on the beach or in your wedding pictures is totally fine but the way you talk to yourself throughout your journey is a critical component too and that is why we are not only here to support your physical health and weight loss journey but also here to provide support and improve your mental health.


So much research and scientific evidence suggests that if you go into any health and fitness protocol with a focus on weight as your end goal then you will always regain the weight and have worse emotional, mental and physical outcomes at the end. Your own personal experiences probably support this too because with diets, you may have lost the weight but you’ve probably gained it back. This is not all your fault (95% experience this and the other 5% develop disordered eating behaviours) so don’t feel disheartened. We are here now to change your life for the better and stop this vicious cycle. When we embark on a weight loss journey for health outcomes and increment habit changes (adding more veg or drinking more water) and take weight out of the equation (remove the scale!) then research proves that we are way more successful, our health improves significantly and weight loss is just another additional bonus to the various other benefits.


The counterintuitive point is to remove weight from the situation because more often than not, weight gain and negative relationships with body image and food is not actually about your weight and food, it’s about something else. Just remember, no food will harm you as much as disordered eating will. Food is NOT the devil, sometimes it is just our mind playing tricks on us.





0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All